Workshops & Field Days
The Alameda County Conservation Partnership hosts workshops and field days throughout the year. See below for information of the following offerings:
- Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Workshop Series
- Technical Species Workshops
- Completed Workshops
Check back often or sign up for our email list below to receive the most up-to-date workshop information.
Once you sign up for the list, you will have the option of selecting one or more areas of interest, including workshops aimed at landowners and land managers, and technical workshops on local special-status species.
Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Workshop & Field Day Series
- Getting the Lease: Strategies for developing an effective Grazing Lease Proposal. The second of the ACRCD's two-part ranching workshop series will focus on responding effectively to Grazing Lease RFPs. Learn about commonly asked questions and work collaboratively to develop effective, "winning" answers. Attendees will hear from a panel of experienced applicants and proposal reviewers from across the Bay Area. This workshop will also address best practices for pursuing private and non-conventional grazing leases.
- Livestock Production 101. The first of the two-part ranching workshop series was held on May 11th, and focused on providing beginning ranchers with the information and tools they need to maximize production efficiency while running an ecologically sound operation. Many thanks to the Wiedemann family for welcoming workshop attendees to their ranch for this field-based workshop. To view materials from the workshop, click here.
Did you miss a workshop or field day that you could have benefited from? Scroll down to view materials and videos from recent trainings and events.
Technical Species Workshops
The Conservation Partnership routinely offers workshops on California tiger salamander and California red-legged frog as well as other species of importance in the region.
Tickets are on sale now for our 2017 California Red-Legged Frog Workshop. To register for the event, visit our EventBrite page.
To find out more about the 2017 California Red-Legged Frog workshop click here.
Below is a list of the types of workshops offered through the Conservation Partnership. Many include both classroom lecture and a field component. For more information, including workshop materials or video of the event, click on the highlighted link below.
- Yolo Press & Yolo Bulb Field Day. Beginning farmers joined Mike Madison for a tour of his farm in Yolo County. Attendees were able to view both Mike's flower farm operation (Yolo Bulb) and his olive oil operation (Yolo Press), learning the ins-and-outs of these operations from field to farmer's market. March 9, 2017.
- Olive Tree Pruning Field Day. This hands-on field day at the Purple Orchid Resort and Spa taught attendees about best practices for hand-pruning medium and high-density olive trees, reviewed the best types of tools for the job, discussed techniques for different harvest methods, pruning timing and more. The instructor was Mike Madison, owner / operator of Yolo Press. Attendees had the opportunity to practice demonstrated techniques in the Purple Orchid's olive orchards. Feb 23, 2017.
- Beginning Olive Oil Producer's Group Meeting. The ACRCD hosts Beginning Olive Oil Producer's Group meetings for East Bay growers throughout the year. Our most recent meeting was held Tuesday, January 31st and focused on Post-Harvest Lessons Learned. Notes from the meeting, plus results of a post-harvest survey can be found here.
- Root Down Farm. Part of the Outdoor Pig Production Workshop Series. Tour pasture-based Root Down Farm of Pescadero and learn about effectively managing hogs on pasture while minimizing impacts and conserving natural resources. June 25th, 2015. Video coming soon!
- Front Porch Farm. Part of the Outdoor Pig Production Workshop Series. Learn about their rare forest-raised Cinta Senese pigs. The workshop will address how to manage pigs successfully within Oak Woodlands and well as other natural resource considerations. June 24, 2015. Video coming soon!
- Grazing Leases Workshop. Discussions include legal and financial risks of poorly developed leases, leasing best practices, alternative lease clauses, and lease development and negotiation. Join us afterwards for refreshments and networking. April 15th, 2015.
- Magruder Ranch Tour. Come see Magruder Ranch in Potter Valley and learn about best management practices for pasture raised hog production. June 4, 2014. Click here for video.
- J.E.Perry Farm Tour. Visit J.E. Perry Farm at historic Ardenwood Regional Park, where father and son farmers, Joe and Doug Perry grow some of the regions best cole crops, among other delicious vegetables. April 15, 2014. Click here for video.
- Riverdog/Free Spirit Farm This two part tour will begin with a visit to Riverdog Farm in the Capay Valley, followed by lunch in Winters and a tour of Free Spirit Farm in the afternoon. April 3, 2014. Click here for the Riverdog video or the Free Spirit Farm video.
- Agri-Tourism Workshop. Acquire tools for assessing your farm's agri-tourism potential, business and regulatory overview and learn from local farmers successfully engaged in agri-tourism. Morgan Hill Community Center, March 26, 2014. Click here for video.
- Frog Hollow Farm Tour. Ask Farmer Al all about his world-famous peaches and other orchard fruit, learn the secrets of organic orchard management, and how to succeed at value-added marketing, March 21, 2014. Click here for video.
- Production 101 Workshop for Beginning Farmers. An introduction to business planning, marketing, financing and production considerations for vegetable row crop production. Morgan Hill Community Center, Wednesday, March 19, 2014.
- Irrigation Management Workshop & Field Day. Optimize water applications, improve yield and crop quality, limit weed competition, reduce disease pressure and more. Workshop led by Jim Leap, Farm Manager, emeritus, for UC Santa Cruz Agro-ecology - Sunol Ag Park, March 13, 2014. Click here for video.
- Yolo Press Farm Tour. A farm tour led by Olive producer Mike Madison. Winters, Sunday, March 2, 2014, 10-1 pm. Click here for video.
- Weed Management Workshop and Field Day. Optimize water applications, improve yield and crop quality, limit weed competition, and more. Workshop led by Jim Leap, organized by SAGE with support from ACRCD. February 20, 2014, Sunol AgPark. Click here for video.
Natural Resources Education Scholarship Fund
The Natural Resources Education Scholarship Fund is available to provide financial assistance to those who would like to attend our workshops but cannot afford it. Please click here to learn more.